Sunday, April 1, 2012

Happy 1st Birthday, Mary Claire!

Our little girl is one.  I cannot believe it.  And I know that’s cliché, but it really is incredible that a year has passed since Mary Claire entered this world.  This weekend, we’ve been reliving those first few days and weeks.  Recounting stories and just plain being thankful.  We serve a gracious and merciful God.  We pray sweet Mary Claire grows to know Him and love Him well.

IMG_3659

At 7:56 a.m. we sang “Happy Birthday” and recounted the quiet entrance MC made into this world.  I remember Brian bringing her to me to see for the first time.  She was so peaceful.  I kissed her, and then the nurses whisked her out of my arms as they began working hard to help her breathe.  Off to the NICU she went and the rest of the day passed in a blur of doctors coming in and out of our room, Brian going hourly to the NICU, and family reporting to me the events of the day…”she looks like a little doll,” “she has beautiful skin,” “she has Brian’s dark hair,” “she looks just like Josh,” “she looks just like you,” “she’s a fighter…”  I remember drifting off to sleep exhausted and wishing I could just see her for myself.  I remember praying desperately that she would be okay.  I remember crying with Joshua when he was so upset that he couldn’t hold her like we’d promised him. I remember hoping that our story would have a happy ending.

Mary Claire with tubes 2

A few days later a merciful God kicked Mary Claire out of the NICU.   I began accessorizing, full of relief and gratitude.  Bows, pink hats, and so many kisses and hugs.  There were trials looming in the days to come…Brian getting the flu and being quarantined, MC getting pink eye, jaundice, thrush, not gaining back her birth weight fast enough, the need for hip ultrasounds and tests.  God was with us through every moment, both those full of delight and those dripping in despair.  He was with us always.  He still is.

Now Mary Claire walks and laughs.  She protests, she claps, she says “mama” and “dada.”  She waves goodbye.  She knocks on Joshua’s door during his naptime, hoping to play with her favorite friend.  She dances to music.  She loves being outside. She tries to walk on water and causes all of us a heart attack as she runs full speed towards the pool.  She is lovely.  She is a gift.  She is truly our little “chosen” (Mary), “bright” (Claire), “joy” (Joy).

IMG_3588

From this very happy birthday weekend…

IMG_3685

IMG_3695

IMG_3713

IMG_3673

IMG_3681

IMG_3674

IMG_3728

IMG_3720

IMG_3671

Happy Birthday, sweet Mary Claire.  May you grow to be all who God has made you to be.  May your hope always be in Him.  We love you!

No comments: